Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Montrose to Gunnison




Well, today was my first official "bonk" day, not sure why cept probably didn't eat enough last night or this morning, not my usual eggs, bacon and biscuits cause they didn;t have them. Started really early, up at 5"15(you guys know how I miss sleeping in!) and then immediately into another strong headwind into a 12 mile climb uo to Cerro Summit, somewhere around 7500 feet. After a great downhill we climbed another 8 or 10 miles up to Blue mesa, incredibly beautiful canyon, I remember it from a BTC ride a few years ago. We shared the road with about 2500 other riders from Ride the Rockie, actually kind of fun. We then had a great downhill into A huge lake and the spectacular rock formations near Gunnison--somewhere along the way, tho, about 6 or 7 miles from town I ran out of water, cytomax and steam and barely made it to the hotel. One of my fellow riders gave me a "mojo" drink, no telling what was in it but I feel a thousand percent better already and just might be able to m ake Monarch Pass tomorrow, q 12,000 foot summit, highest point of the trip. You'd think these Colorado legs would know they were home! We're past the one third point, it's been so fast--have actually really questioned the last 3 days exactly why I'm doing this, can't ome up with a good answer yet--maybe I will when I reach the halfway pint in Abilene kansas, the point of no return! My friend Linda pulled a muscle yesterday and had to sit out today, I felt so bad for her.So--I'm heading to Marios foe dinner, am gonna eat a whole pizza(kidding!) and get a good night's sleep, more tomorow, sent some pics today. Especially one for my brother Mike, read the sign on top of Blue Mesa Summit--something about elk!!

2 comments:

Caborado said...

Bummer about Linds.... Have the sag drop her off at the top of Monarch.

Hope you rebound from the bonkies.

Never question why you are doing this... just remember you are in the middle of something most people would not dream of trying... which is where you want to be... otherwise you would be like most people.... and we know Sue A is special.

Anonymous said...

True words caborado